Monday 20 May 2013

Sick Day

Today I had a sick day. Not from work but from our kiddie activities. I had dragged myself out yesterday to Playgroup and felt worse for it so we stayed home today from our Rhyme Time and coffee/park date with friends. I actually felt a bit apprehensive about staying home as my boys are ACTIVE and we go out every morning until nap time and then we hang out at home in the afternoons. I thought they'd go a bit stir crazy at home but it hasn't been too bad. Luckily it's a beautiful day here after lots and lots of rain and cold weather so they were able to play outside. We played with some playdoh I made the other day. Sparkly black = awesome!




I got three loads of washing done while they played outside but then the inevitable happened - they wanted me and suddenly I had two new besties who wouldn't leave my side. I decided we'd bake this chocolate cake that I wanted to try which has raw caocao in it which I had just bought last week. Here is the original link.

Chia Seed Chocolate Cake

Ingredients

4 tablespoons Chia seeds soaked in 1 cup of water for 15 minutes
½ cup raw Caocao Powder
125 grams softened Butter
5 medium to large Eggs
1 cup Almond Meal
1 cup Rapadura (or sugar of choice)
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon Bicarb

Method

1. Preheat oven to 180C
2. Line a spring form cake tin with non stick baking paper
3. Soak chia seeds in 1 cup of water for 15 minutes, stirring regularly
4. In meantime place cocoa, eggs, almond meal, sugar, salt, bicarb and butter in a bowl. Whisk to combine well and break up any lumps (at least 1 minute)
5. Add chia seed jelly and whisk until well combined. Pour into lined cake tin
6. Bake in oven for 35-40 minutes or until it bounces back when pressed in middle
7. Let the cake cool for 5-10 minutes in the tin. Finish cooling on a wire cooling rack
 
 
And here's the finished product:
 
 


Be warned it is not a very sweet cake. I think it could be made sweeter if you like by using raw sugar instead of rapadura as I did. The cake tastes way better than the mix did. I actually thought it was going to turn out gross after I tasted that but I was pleasantly surprised and the boys wolfed it down.

Oh and I didn't need to worry about them not being tired out at home either:




 
:)

1 comment:

  1. It's good to stay home sometimes I think. Also good to have some things to do with the kids as well like the playdough and cooking.

    ReplyDelete