Sunday 14 April 2013

Green Smoothies

I first tried a green smoothie awhile ago after reading about how good they were for you  somewhere on the net. It was a very very green smoothie and didn't go down too well especially with Master 2. I decided to give them another go and made this one this morning (As you can see I had my little helper nearby) -




In it is a couple of handfuls of blueberries, a banana, a handful of baby spinach, a teaspoon of chia seeds, ice and milk which I blitzed for 30 seconds. It turned out like this -




It was a massive improvement on the first one I did and was heaps easier to drink although I could still taste the 'green' in it but I'm guessing you get used to it. I'm not sure I could do the ones with kale or the like in them.

Master 2 on the other hand loved it......Tee hee!




:)

3 comments:

  1. tehehe. The one in Jo's Quirky Cooking blog is absolutely delish but more fattening as it pretty much makes "cashew milk"

    Blueberry 'Yoghurt' Green Smoothie

    Here's one I promised to share on my Facebook page - I love the way this tastes like it has yoghurt in it, but is completely dairy free! The secret is the creamy cashew or almond milk with lime and banana - so simple. The colour doesn't always look so good with creamy berry green smoothies, and I find you need to drink them quickly or they turn greyish - but they really do taste delicious. Just drink it up quickly before the colour changes. :) Here's the recipe:

    - 100g raw cashews or blanched almonds
    - 2 frozen bananas, quartered
    - 100g frozen blueberries
    - 1 lime, peeled
    - 2 big handfuls of ice
    - 1-2 big handfuls of cos lettuce or baby spinach
    - 300g water

    Grind up the dry nuts first for 10 seconds on speed 9. Then add remaining ingredients and blend on speed 10 for 2 minutes.

    http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com.au/search/label/drinks

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny you should say that because I was looking at her Green Smoothies post yesterday after I wrote this post. She's so amazingly creative making up all these recipes. I'd love to try this one out. Thanks so much for posting it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hubby gobbles it down, so it must be good ;) Quirky Jo is my hero!! Pretty much why I bought a thermomix and why I want to start living how your blog explains. x

    ReplyDelete