Saturday 29 June 2013

Mummy Guilt

It's been a crappy couple of weeks, my kids have been sick constantly and so was Chris when he was home, I've been eating way too much, not drinking enough water and we've had lots of bills come in so I didn't get our organic fruit and veg box this fortnight and I was feeling pretty bad about it. Mummy guilt. We all suffer from it.

So I pulled myself together and remembered that you can only do the best you have with what you've got. So we went to the market today and got lots of fruit and veg and I'll just wash it all in a vinegar rinse before we use it. We're not going to be able to afford to buy organic produce all the time as much as I'd like to be able to especially as we're now tightening our belts (more on that in another post). There are loads of people worse off than us and that's something I have to remind myself from time to time.

As I was in between writing this, bathing the kids and making dinner I dropped the lid of one of my vintage canisters and it chipped - sob, sob, sob! Hopefully the other half can fix it for me when he gets home.

Lucky for me I baked some of these yummo Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies today (ignore the eating way too much bit I mentioned earlier) which I can have after dinner. The recipe is from The Buttercup Bake Shop Cook Book which I recently picked up secondhand for $2 - score!

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

3/4 cup plain flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarb
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar (I used raw)
1 large egg, room temp
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup rolled oats
chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 180C. Lightly grease 2 cookie trays.
In a medium bowl sift flour, bicarb and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl (I used my stand mixer) cream butter and sugars until fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix well. Add flour mixture and beat thoroughly. Stir in oats and choc chips.
Drop rounded teaspoonfuls onto the cookie sheets leaving a few cms between each one. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool on trays for a minutes then remove to a rack to cool completely.

I reduced the sugar and also I should have had my oven at 170 as mine runs hot so I only baked them for about 8 minutes. They are delish and very very moreish.

That's enough moaning from me today. Until next time.....






1 comment: