Monday 6 May 2013

Mission Two - Reduce Food Waste

Every year Australians (homes and businesses) waste around 7.5 billion tonnes of food. How insane is that? When you think about all the people in our own country and around the world that don't have enough to eat then this figure is shameful.

I'll put my hand up to say that I am a food waster. Many times at the markets I'll buy fruit and vegies that we don't end up eating because I either buy too much or I don't have a meal to use them in or things are on special so I buy them for the sake of it. Now that I'm meal planning again I'm going to really try and only buy what I need for the week and bulk out all our meals with extra vegies and fruit. Tonight I'm sauteeing some kale that came in my organic produce last week otherwise I know I'll waste it.

Leftovers are another way that food is wasted and generally we do try and use these up but with my partner working FIFO sometimes things don't get eaten between the three of us. I'm going to start to freeze leftovers and that way they won't be thrown out and my partner will be able to grab stuff out for his lunches while he's home.

If you have canned,jarred or packet food that you know you aren't going to use then perhaps you could donate it to your local Foodbank or Women's Refuge or the like as my sister just did today. Great idea that I wouldn't have thought of.

So this week I will document everything that I throw away (or give to my chooks). Hopefully it won't be that much although I did throw away some baby zucchinis I found deteriorating in the crisper drawer this morning oh yes and some leftover cottage pie. Oh dear I haven't started well......

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment